Tuesday, March 31, 2009

American Idol - Top 9 - March 31, 2009

1. Anoop Desai - Caught Up
OK, he's got some sort of strange fascist looking outfit going on. Anoop has gone Peronista. I'm not really enjoying the tough guy act. Maybe it's because I am unfamiliar with this song. The song doesn't really give the singer alot of vocal play so not sure what he could have done. Not a good song really for him because he comes across like he's trying too hard. I give 50 to the first singer and go from there.

2. Megan Joy - Turn Your Lights Down Low
Hope Megan can look good because after the last several weeks worth of performances, I'm not counting on her voice. Oh dear. Someone should really put her out of her misery and vote her off already. This is quite painful. What's with that dancing? Score 10.

3. Danny Gokey - What Hurts the Most
I like the new glasses. Singing a country song, Danny seems to be going for Michael's natural voter base. He's got an enjoyable voice timbre but there are odd notes here and there. The song is a good one for him, it's rather plain performance but his voice covers that. Not sure about his phrasing but it's definitely better than his other work in the Top 13. Score 70.

4. Allison Iraheta - Don't Speak
OK what's with the anime Pebbles look here? The hair has to go, but oooo I like that voice. Nice rich sound and a wonderful money note. Only a couple of odd tremors in there but an otherwise really good vocal performance for me. Interesting, they're really picking on her outfit. Score 80.

5. Scott McIntyre - Love You Just the Way You Are
Um, what's with the flock of seagulls hair? He has a lovely sweet voice but his performance is rather plain again. His vocalization can seem forced. Like Danny, he's had a good night in comparison to previous weeks. Nice money note but it was still a rather safe note. Score 65.

6. Matt Giraud - You Found Me
Spotty start to me. I don't get the way the crowd is set up all around him so close. Seems like favoritism. He's good when he's powering his voice but I'm not as impressed with his more tender voices. I like the falsetto. But in some ways, it wasn't the sort of song that suited him to me. Score 55.

7. Lil Rounds - I Surrender
Interesting hair. Oh no. Not a good song choice to me, because it seems like it's too low a register for her voice. And, as she powers up, she's ending up shouting instead of singing. If she moved it up a bit, she could come off alot more effusively and natural. Score 60. Oh good heavens, the baby comes out and hugs Randy. Of course Lil would cry. Heck, Stalin would have cried.

8. Adam Lambert - Play That Funky Music
He's going to go opposite from last week. But I loved last week. Hope this turns out ok. He's got some weird Elvis meets the Werewolf look tonight. I don't get the arrangement but it's an energetic performance. He certainly knows how to screech in tune. That's a heck of a money note. Score 85.

9. Kris Allen - Ain't No Sunshine
This is a perfect song for Kris. His voice sounds slick and sensual. He looks even more natural on that piano than even on the guitar. Ooh I like the groan, more than Adam's because it's such a sincere and sweet sound. And he's sort of the anti-Adam. He goes for the opposite money notes that Adam would. Wow, I love it. Score 90.

I'm surprised here. I am increasingly enjoying Kris's performances. He's really getting better each week, which in my book is a hallmark of a successful American Idol run. But Adam and Allison are still up there with him in my top 3.



5709 Kris Allen - 90
5708 Adam Lambert - 85
5704 Allison Iraheta - 80
5703 Danny Gokey - 70
5705 Scott McIntyre - 65
5707 Lil Rounds - 60
5706 Matt Giraud - 55
5701 Anoop Desai - 50
5702 Megan Joy - 10









My Full Blog

No comments: