Wednesday, April 14, 2010

American Idol Top 8 (Plus 1 Save)

Last week, Michael Lynche was saved, so though we're suppose to have only 8 finalists this week, it's another episode with 9 contestants: 8 plus 1 save.

Adam Lambert is the host! Let's see if he can wake some of these people up. Ooh, especially since it's Elvis night. I suspect there will be a number of odd efforts to over-respect Elvis and basically sound all karaoke.


1. Crystal Bowersox, I Used to Drink

She looks like she's emphasizing the gospel emphasis tonight. My goodness she has such a real, pro-style voice. I can't wait to hear her on the radio on a regular basis. This is a hot sound.


2. Andrew Garcia, Hound Dog

He's really doing this way too relaxed. This is a provocative song of a bad dawg; Andrew sounds like he's wooing a nun. I like his voice but this version just isn't that good.


3. Tim Urban, Falling in Love

Tim's doing acoustic again. Thank goodness, because he sounds so nice with acoustic guitar. Odd phrasing, but it's quite sweet and tender. Wow, that was really very good. I enjoyed it quite a bit and it might have been his best performance.


4. Lee DeWyze, A Little Less Conversation

Mmm, I just love this boy's voice. I really hope he and Crystal do a duet during the summer concert. He just lacks the showman pizzazz that winners of Idol tend to have.



5. Aaron Kelly, Blue Suede Shoes

Pitchy. That's all there is to it. It's an odd song choice to me, too. Oh he's dancing, so that's charming. Well the money note was good.


6. Siobhan Magnus, Suspicious Mind
I think she is most like Adam, so she should go as crazy as possible. She has a lovely sound to me. Oh and she goes for the money note. Nicer in the second half. The body language was sort of so-so but the vocals were good. Not sure why the judges are so tough on her.

7. Michael Lynche, In the Ghetto
Nice sound, but a boring arrangement to me. Not really getting Michael or why everyone loves him so much. It is better when he plays the guitar, that's for sure. One thing's for sure, though. After the save, he'll be safe this week.

8. Katie Stevens, What do you want me to do
She is pumping her up her voice on this one. Not sure I like the look but she's showing some good 'tude tonight. She's showing she has pipes again.

9. Casey James, Loudy Ms Cloudy
Not sure I like this song choice. It's not one of the easy songs to do. There's too much pitchiness and discomfort all around. It's just awkward. I normally like his voice, but this just wasn't his best.


Here's my rankings:

Crystal #1
Lee #4
Tim #3
Siobhan #6
Casey #9
Aaron #5
Michael #7
Alex #2








My Full Blog

No comments: