Wednesday, February 24, 2010

American Idol - Vote for the 12 Men - 02/24/2010

American Idol - Vote for the 12 Men - 02/24/2010

Waiting for the show to start. Not sure why they think the women were better this season. I wasn't overly impressed yesterday. I think the men might surprise tonight.

Looks like FOX is having problems keeping their top rated show on. This error screen is both on high def and regular FOX. Sad.

1. Todrick Hall
He's singing something that's a bit more hip hop. Not sure I'm up on the sound. Seems like a slightly nerdy version of the radio singers. The pitchiness is not great for me. Judges for the most part feel he murdered it.

2. Aaron Kelly, 16, from Sonestown, PA
He seems pretty marketable, but I think he's going to be like David Archuleta and susceptible to losing his words. There's some nervous pitchiness in there. He doesn't have enough control of his notes, even though he's got good tonality. Simon is right in saying he needs self-confidence.

3. Jermaine Sellers from Joliet IL
Church singer, whose bio was interrupted by a terrible FOX broadcast of news highlights. He's doing a falsetto start, but breaks out into a contemporary Gospel sound. Interesting, ends with a jazz chord. Some uncomfortable pitchiness in there. Simon's brutal tonight.

4. Tim Urban, 20, of Duncanville TX
He originally was sent home but is a substitute. He's singing "Apologize", he's got a clean-cut but rocking look. I like his voice in general but his falsetto isn't good. Why did he choose a song with so much falsetto?

5. Joe Munoz, 20, from nearby Huntington Park, CA
He's singing a Jason Mraz song. Funny, he looks like my nephew RJ with that scarf. He seems pretty nervous. He seems like a nice person, and his vibrato is a bit much, but it's better than what we've seen earlier so far. Kara agrees.

6. Tyler Grady, 20, of Nazareth PA
He's all about the 70s rocker look and he's gonna do "American Woman", which is just a little too predictable. So far, he's got the most enjoyable performance. Except for when he pushed that high note, he had the low registers under control. Limp ending.

7. Lee Dewyze , 25, Chicago
He's playing the guitar. Finally some energy and with notes that are mostly right on. The song choice was good for his voice. My fave for tonight. Interesting Randy and Kara didn't care for it. Simon agrees with me.

8. John Park, 21, Northbrook, IL
Shania totally loves him - so funny. He's doing a jazz standard "God Bless this Child". Reasonable sound but felt pretty plastic sounding to me. Simon took a butcher knife to him.

9. Michael Lynch, 26, from St Petersburg, FL
He's the one who just had a newborn during Hollywood week. Wow, he's singing a pop song. Not sure if I get this performance at all. Well, that money note wasn't so good for me. Simon was the only one who spoke truth tonight on Michael.

So far -- not a happy night for me. I think that they might be right; the women are stronger than the men this year. Didn't hear anything tonight that wowed me.

10. Alex Lambert, 19, from TX
Slightly flat, but lovely rich tone and he's singing fairly well, hmm, until that falsetto. He's good looking but, hehe, Alex is definitely not a dancer and a nervous wreck. I'd like to see him relax and grow into himself.

11. Casey James, 27, from Fort Worth
He's got some good looks and plays a slow guitar ballad "Heaven". He seems comfortable and has safe sound. Man, it's ok, but it sure makes me think fondly of that wonderful David vs David year, when Cook knocked this one out of the park. It's pretty good but there are some notes that are slightly off.

12. Andrew Garcia, 23, of nearby Moreno Valley CA
Have great hopes for Andrew, since he was the only guy during the city auditions that struck me as impressive. Another guy playing the guitar while singing. He seems to be playing it safe to me with "Straight Up". I like the sound of his voice, but really think he can do better. Simon was disappointed, too.


So, the rankings for tonight for me:

1. Lee Dewyze #07
2. Andrew Garcia, #12
3. Casey James #11
4. Alex Lambert #10
5. Joe Munoz #05
6. Aaron Kelly #02
7. Michael Lynch #09
8. Tyler Grady #06
9. Tim Urban #03
10. John Park #08
11. Jermaine Sellers #04
12. Todrick Hall #01







My Full Blog

No comments: